Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ballard stole my heart

I love Ballard for many, many reasons, but one of the main reasons this old Scandinavian fishing town stole my heart is the food. Plain and simple.
It seems as if the entire community is in agreement that there needs to be a food revolution in our country, and this massive movement is already well underway, and thriving here. Whether it's community kitchens and gardens, a booming local/organic farmers market, restaurant rooftop and backyard gardens, local beekeeping/honey making, breweries...you name it, Ballard has it! I am so unbelievably fortunate to be a part of all it. I am constantly discovering and on the lookout for new restaurants, stores and activities weekly; at times its hard to keep up! Thus, it's safe to say I will be blogging about Ballard continually.
One of the very first places I spotted upon moving here was a cute cafe called Verite Coffee/Cupcake Royale. As if a cafe selling endless amazingly delicious-sounding cupcakes wasn't enough(Salted Caramel! Lemon Drop! Lavender!), what drew me in even more was the fact that these are "cupcakes with a conscience!" The flour comes from local Shepherds Grain no-till co-op, fruit from local farmers, local eggs, hormone free milk and butter from Medowsweet Dairy, AND organic sugar! AAAAAND each month they come out with a new flavor made with local, seasonal ingredients. SOLD!
Today is June 1, and I just walked down to get the new cupcake of the month: RASPBERRY RHUBARB! A 'tart n sweet' combination made with rhubarb cake and and raspberry cream cheese frosting.
Now that's what I call a cupcake! Raspberry? Rhubarb? Cream cheese? Why, those are three of my favorite things. Thank you Jesus!
Excuse me while I go stuff my face with a piece of heaven...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...