Thursday, June 23, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcakes

When I was in third grade, my parents announced to my brother and I that we were moving for the first time. I don't remember this news being very tragic to me at the time; although when it comes to my younger years my memory is a bit blurry. Sioux Falls, South Dakota would become our new home for only about 18 short months. If it weren't for the extreme weather, I'd say Sioux Falls truly had it going on: great neighbors, amazing friends, community swimming pool, bike paths, and most importantly, an epic big blue house.

Justin and I had our own unique rooms, with different colored carpet, built in cabinetry with space for a television, window seats, etc. Our bathroom was big and had TWO sinks, so we didn't have to share; we were in heaven. We were thrilled about all of us, but I can honestly say we were probably most excited over the laundry shoot. I don't know why a nine and ten year old thought a laundry shoot was so enthralling, but we truly did find it fantastic!
While the inside of the house was something to write home about, the backyard looked like something out of a Better Homes & Gardens magazine: a patio, flowers upon flowers upon flowers, trees, a huge open grassy area, and a cute little garden. What more could you ask for, really?
If my memory serves me correctly, the two vegetables we yielded the most from were green beans (of course I would remember those) and rhubarb. This is where my love and appreciation for rhubarb all started. Mom would use it from the garden and make strawberry rhubarb pies, and still to this day that it my favorite kind of pie.
After eating Cupcake Royale's cupcake of the month, I felt inspired to use rhubarb, and knew I could find it local and organic at the Ballard Farmer's market. Low and behold, I found some amazing looking "strawberry rhubarb" and I also bought a pint of fresh strawberries then went to work to find the perfect recipe.



I decided on a Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake recipe from Bon Appetit, which consists of baking homemade sweet biscuits and a strawberry rhubarb compote. I also bought whipping cream and whipped it up myself, sweetening it using pure vanilla extract for topping.

Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcakes:

Compote
4 cups 3/4-inch-thick slices fresh rhubarb (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
1 teaspoon minced orange peel
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1-pint basket strawberries, hulled, thickly sliced

Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until rhubarb is tender but some pieces remain intact, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add allspice. Cool completely. Stir in strawberries. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours or overnight.


Biscuits
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons minced orange peel (orange part only)
1/4 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons chilled whipping cream

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Add butter and cut in using pastry blender or rub with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cream and stir until dough comes together.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 6 turns. Flatten dough to 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut out rounds using 2 3/4-inch-diameter plain or scalloped cookie cutter. Gather dough scraps and shape into 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut out additional dough rounds.

Transfer rounds to heavy large ungreased baking sheet. Bake until biscuits are puffed and golden, about 23 minutes. Transfer biscuits to rack and cool slightly.

I cut the biscuits in half and warmed them in the microwave for 25 seconds, then spooned the cold compote on top and a dollop of whipped cream.
This truly is an incredible dessert.



PS. Please resist the urge right now to laugh/judge/scoff at my "whipped" cream. I know it looks pathetic, but this was after it sat a day in my fridge AND I only whipped for like 5 hours BY HAND in the first place. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...