Monday, June 6, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

I love reading books that evoke true emotion; I love a book that's so funny I laugh out loud, so endearing that I smile, so intense that I lose track of everything that is going on around me, or so powerful and inspiring that I want to get up right then and there and make a change.
This past week I finished reading The Help, a book that takes place in 1960's Jackson Mississippi. The story is narrated by the three principal characters, two black maids and a young white woman who is genuinely concerned about the plight of the maids working for every white family in town, including her own. It was one of those books that I was torn between not wanting to put down, and not wanting to end. It was funny, endearing, sad and powerful. But it was inspiring in a different way; after finishing it I wanted to get up right then and there and cook a southern-style meal. Throughout the book the maids talk of mouth-watering soul food: caramel cakes, grits, pork chops, butter beans and fried green tomatoes. Southern cuisine is just so comforting and hearty, you can't help but feel warm when eating it, or even just reading and thinking about it.
I have been dying to try fried green tomatoes. Finishing The Help, and just having made grandma's potato salad called for a southern celebration!
On the menu: Fried Green Tomatoes, Potato Salad and Sweet Tea.
Unfortunately, the first and probably the biggest misstep was not being able to find green, or unripe, tomatoes. We searched three different grocery stores to no avail. Not wanting to give up on the main entree, we decided to buy the hardest red beefsteak tomatoes we could find. Between that problem, and the stone-ground cornmeal that was far too course and crunchy, the tomatoes just did not turn out. However, our southern-themed night was too much fun to not remember. It's also a good reminder that not all my recipes will be perfect the first time around!



We soaked the tomatoes in buttermilk, then dredged them in a cornmeal, flour, seasoning mixture.


All loaded up and frying in vegetable oil over the stove.


Fried up to a crispy, golden brown!



I will definitely be on the lookout for true green tomatoes and a better recipe. And so it goes - the wait continues until I sink my teeth into this truly soulful southern delicacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...