Sunday, October 9, 2011

99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall

I'm so excited to recall mine and Eric's ULTIMATE Beer Weekend Extravaganza!

First, let me preface.
About a year ago, when Eric and I first moved to our new apartment in Ballard, my parents came up to help move us in. After an afternoon of moving and hauling, we went exploring down the street for a tasty lunch spot. We first wandered upon Portage Bay Cafe, but since they were only offering breakfast at the time, we decided to pass and that's when Kiss Cafe Beer & Wine Bar fell into our laps.
It was love at first sight. This adorable little cafe, with only about 9-10 small tables, and a long bar with high stools, boasts a large beer cooler, (with 99 constantly rotating microbrews and a wide variety of other beers and ciders) a great espresso area with lovely coffee AND a menu loaded with salads, sandwiches and wraps and soups (aka. all I really need in life).
This cafe is the absolute perfect spot to have right down the street. That first day we were there, Eric and I talked about how we wanted this place to become "our place." You know, that place. . . the one that you walk into and the owners go "Heeyyy Laura! Heyyy Eric! Welcome back! What beer can we get ya today? Oh, and would you like your usual sandwich/soup combo, Laura? We're on it! We love you!" That was our (my?) goal.
After numerous times of going there to eat our way through their menu and enjoy many of the Pacific Northwest's microbrews they offer, we discovered that Kiss Cafe is the home of the "Ballard Drinking Team." On January 29, 2011 Eric and I set out to become official members.....AND ON SATURDAY OCTOBER 8, 2011 (after 5 beers - don't worry, I drank these over the course of six hours) WE FINISHED OUR LISTS! WE DID IT, WE REALLY DID IT!!
Eric is member #154 and I am #155 and proud of it, ya'll! When we finished they rang a cowbell and announced to everyone their newest members and made us feel like rockstars. Then they bought us ANOTHER BEER. Holy microbrews! I held up like a champ, for reals.




The challenge/rules: to drink 99 DIFFERENT beers in one year. One of those beers must be a Rainier Tallboy (hahaha!) and one must be a hard cider.
Sidenote: When I drank my Rainier, I was given the can in a beer cozy. It was totes one of my favorite moments.

Each time we finished a beer, we got signed off by an employee. AAND when we completed the list, we became members of their exclusive drinking team! This now entitles us to our very own, personalized beer glass kept at the cafe, discounts on beer, and really fun member events. Our first member event is going to be their Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest, which includes seasonal beer and food and fun!

Eric and I started off on a strong note - we were gung-ho and determined with a capital "D." When I would tell myself we only needed to finish 99 beers, it didn't seem like THAT much. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang? UMMM YEAH RIGHT. I thought this challenge would never end! I'm not saying I didn't love every moment, but holy shit, toward the finish line (like the 70 beer marker), I just wanted more than anything to be D-O-N-E. Well, now I am!
I'm amazing, I know! Thanks.

PS. Remember when I said bring me pumpkin anything and we'll be best friends? Well, (since I'm now a beer snob and everything) bring me a light domestic beer and I'll throw it at your head and laugh at your injuries. Whoa. Too much? Sorry, I'm kidding. (Kinda.)


CHEEEEEEEEEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...