Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Stuffed Bell Peppers

If I find or hear about a recipe for "stuffed" anything, I'm already sold. Crab stuffed mushrooms? Done and done. Stuffed tomatoes/zucchini? Yes please, sign me up. Chocolate stuffed strawberries? (Seriously, forget DIPPED!)Ohhhhhh my god. Stuffed peppers? Don't mind if I do. In fact, let me tell you about those...
My fabulous mother introduced me to the wonderful world of stuffed peppers. First off, when I say peppers, I'm referring to bell peppers. And, in my opinion, the yellow, red and orange are the best to use for this recipe, as I find them to be much sweeter than green and compliment the other flavors in the recipe quite nicely.
Mom's signature pepper recipe calls for the ever-so-flavorful Italian sausage, Spanish rice, vegetable and spice medley (utterly delicious). I however, love to take recipes and add, subtract and multiply. The results equal a healthy, delicious AND filling/satisfying dinner. THAT equals pure love, my friends. No lie.

Laura's Stuffed Bell Peppers
(estimated measurements - no exact recipe)

Yellow, Red, Orange Bell Peppers, tops removed and seeded
1 box spanish rice (I like to use Near East over other brands)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced, no salt added, tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 package lean (93/7) ground turkey
1/2 onion diced
1 cup chopped button mushrooms
1 cup diced zucchini
2 cloves pressed garlic
tomato sauce for topping
salt and pepper, to taste
italian seasoning, to taste
crushed red pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare spanish rice as directed.
Boil prepared peppers in large pot on rapid boil for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
In a large skillet add olive oil over medium heat. Cook the ground turkey, onion, mushrooms, garlic and zucchini until brown and tender. Season with Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper or seasoning salute. Stuff the peppers with the skillet mixture and top with tomato sauce.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.


Aren't they gorgeous? Yeah, how you like dem apples? (and by apples I mean peppers.)
Go make them. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...