Sunday, October 23, 2011

Banana Cream Pie + 3 Years

Today is a special day.
Today marks exactly three years since mine and Eric's love story first began(And let me tell you, it's one for the books).
Three years, people. We're kind of a big deal now.
So I feel like today is the perfect day to document how Eric and I met, since I love the story oh-so-much, and the many reasons why I love and appreciate him. Sorry in advance for the mushy gushy sappiness, but sometimes, you just gotta do it.

It was fate. It really was!
It tooks weeks, maybe even months, for me to decide that I would be studying abroad in Granada, Spain. I knew Spain was the country from the get-go, but Granada took some time to figure out. I thought for sure it was going to be Sevilla, I was set on it even, but then a professor of mine announced to the class one day while talking about studying abroard, that if we were choosing to go to Spain, DON'T go to Sevilla. My heart was broken. I didn't have to listen to her, but I did. She said it had become "Americanized" and that if our goal was to learn and practice speaking Spanish, it wouldn't happen there. After much discussion and thought, I decided on Granada.
Eric's selection process was purely random. Granada, Spain. Boom. Done.

So a girl attending school in Bellingham, Washington and a guy going to school in Irvine, California end up choosing the same country, the same city and the same program. (Like I said, it was fate.)

Eric was there a month before me for a summer program, and then shortly after my group arrived in September, our program had the opportunity to take a weeklong excursion to Morocco. We were both lucky enough to be able to go, and this is where it first began.
We were "camping" out in the Sahara Desert, and the Berbers had cooked us food and were providing us entertainment in a big tent one night. There was music and dancing and laughing. I was sitting at a table, not feeling well, but watching some of my friends dance. I noticed Eric right away. He picked up one of the little Berber boys and had him on his shoulders and was dancing around with him. The boy absolutely loved it (and I thought it was pretty adorable, too). Eric and I kept stealing glances at each other. I felt an instant connection. (I think/hope he did too.)

We spent the next few months getting to know each other through coffee dates, dinners, walks around Granada, nights out drinking and dancing, so many tapas, and excursions around Spain. I always tell everyone being in Spain was the best three months of my life so far, and Eric had a lot to do with that. At the end of our time there, we decided to give a long distance relationship a try.
And three years later, here we are.
I never expected to meet my perfect match in Spain. But love creeps up on you when you least expect it.

I'm SO lucky! Why? Because....
-He let's me call him ridiculous things like, 'bubs' and 'nunners' and 'booj'. (Don't even ask)
-He rubs my head until I fall asleep when I have migraines.
-He is ALWAYS positive and reassuring when I am being a negative nancy.
-He loves my cooking and baking.
-He watches the Food Network with me.
-He tells me I'm beautiful even when I feel at my worst.
-He tells me I'm beautiful when he knows I put a little extra effort to look cute.
-He protects me when I'm scared.
-He believes in me when I don't believe in myself.
-He pushes me to challenge myself and helps me to be a better me.
-He lets me pinch his boobies almost everyday, even though he hates it.
-He loves being weird and silly with me and loves that I'M weird and silly.
-and so on and so on...

They say a way to a man's heart is through food. Well, I've already won Eric's heart, but I still like to win him over again and again and again through my cooking and especially, baking.
Awhile ago, I asked Eric what his all-time favorite dessert was. After a little thinking, banana cream pie was the verdict. So for this special day, I wanted to make him a completely homemade banana cream pie. No pre-made pie crust, no vanilla pudding packets, no Cool Whip....we're talking 100% homemade, because he deserves the very best.

Happy Anniversary, Eric.
I hope you love your pie today (it was made with so much love!)
Thank you for being an amazing man and making me feel like the luckiest girl in the world.
Te quiero para siempre.

Banana Cream Pie
(Source: Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan)

For the Custard:
2 cups whole milk
6 large egg yolks
½ cup (packed) light brown sugar, pressed through a sieve
1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
3 ripe but firm bananas
1 9-inch single crust made with Good for Almost Everything Pie Dough
fully baked and cooled

For the Topping:
1 cup cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sour cream

Dorie's Pie Crust:
Makes two 9-inch pie crusts (I halved the recipe since I only needed one)

3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
12 ounces cold butter, cut into pieces
6 to 8 tablespoons, ice water

To make crust:
Add flour, sugar and salt to the food processor bowl attachment on your Cuisinart Stand Mixer. Pulse for 1 to 2 seconds to combine. Scatter the butter pieces over the dry ingredients. Pulse, in one-second intervals, 8 to 10 times until it forms a sandy texture, with some pieces being about the size of a pea.
Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Pulse until it forms a rough ball (add additional water if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time). Turn dough onto a counter or cutting board. Divide and form each half into a disk. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight (be sure to take out a few minutes beforehand so it will be easier to roll out).

To Make the Custard: Bring the milk to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk the yolks together with the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well blended and thick. Whisking without stopping, drizzle in about ¼ cup of the hot milk – this will temper, or warm, the yolks so they won’t curdle – then, still whisking, add the remainder of the milk in a steady stream. Put the pan over medium heat and, whisking constantly (make sure to get into the edge of the pan), bring the mixture to a boil. Boil, still whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes before removing from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in the bits of butter, stirring until they are fully incorporated and the custard is smooth and silky. You can either press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the custard to create an airtight seal and refrigerate the custard until cold or, if you want to cool the custard quickly – as I always do – put the bowl into a large bowl filled with ice cubes and cold water and stir occasionally until the custard is thoroughly chilled, about 20 minutes. (If it’s more convenient, you can refrigerate the custard, tightly covered,for up to 3 days.)

When you are ready to assemble the pie, peel the bananas and cut them on a shallow diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices. Whisk the cold custard vigorously to loosen it, and spread about one quarter of it over the bottom of the piecrust – it will be a thin layer. Top with half of the banana slices. Repeat, adding a thin layer of pastry cream and the remaining bananas, then smooth the rest of the pastry cream over the last layer bananas.

To Make the Topping: Working with a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the cream until it just starts to thicken. Beat in the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until the cream holds firm peaks. Switch to a rubber spatula and gently fold in the sour cream.

To Finish: Spoon the whipped cream over the filling and spread it evenly to the edges of the custard. Serve, or refrigerate until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...